Best countries to study abroad

By MetaUniversityRanking | April 2, 2013
22 Comments

Studying abroad is a great experience I can tell first hand as I went to Germany for my BSc and MSc degree and studied one semester in the US during my Bachelor’s. I had a great time and it brought me forward academically. Reasons for studying abroad are learning or getting better at a foreign language, experiencing a different culture and enhancing your career start with a degree from a university with high academic reputation. When looking for a university to study abroad it helps to narrow down choices by concentrating on a specific country. So what is the best country to study abroad?

In order recommend the best countries to study abroad we created a country ranking which is based on the quality of universities (50%), the costs of studying there (25%) and career chances (25%). The ranking is based on objective numbers and can be reproduced easily as the used data are from open sources (links are provided).

Here are the best countries for higher education:

Country Top 50 Universities Annual Costs GDP per Capita, PPP Unemployment Rate Score
1. US28 (1)35705 (7)49965 (3)8.1 (7) 3.5
2. Germany3 (5)6285 (1)40901 (6)5.5 (5) 4.1
2. Canada3 (3)26011(5)42533 (5)7.3 (6) 4.1
4. UK8 (2)30325 (6)36901 (7)8.0 (8) 4.4
5. Switzerland2 (6)26593 (4)53367 (2)2.9 (2) 4.5
6. Singapore1 (8)24248 (3)61803 (1)1.9 (1) 5.0
6. Australia3 (4)38515 (8)44598 (4)5.2 (4) 5.0
8. Japan2 (7)19164 (2)35178 (8)4.4 (3) 5.4
Weight 50% 25% 12.5% 12.5%-

1. USA

The world’s best universities are standing on US ground. 28 out of 50 top schools are located in the US. Even if you don’t have the grades to attend a top university studying in the US might be a good choice. People connect the act of studying in the US itself with respect and effort. Another reason for studying in the US is the English language which you prove to understand sufficiently. However, a big disadvantage are the high tuition fees US universities take which can be up to $ 50,000. While there are lots of scholarships they are more difficult to obtain for foreigners. If you can make it into a top school however, your time at university will be a good investment anyway. Here you can find the major factors for choosing the right school.

2. Germany

Germany does not have universities with big names like Harvard or Cambridge. However, the standards are high and consistent among all universities. That is why Germans find it hard to understand the world’s obsession with university rankings and tend to chose their school by factors like distance from their home town and whether they like the city the university is located at. Although the German university you might attend won’t be world known your degree will be respected as German schools are known for quality world wide. This is especially true for engineering degrees which almost ensure you a good career start without hassle. The biggest advantage about studying in Germany is that most universities don’t take any fees so you can start into work life without a penny in debt. Read more about   studying in Germany if it is an option for you.

3. Canada

Canada has three top institutions with the University of Toronto placed #20. Canadian society is known to be very open to foreigners, thus visa application  is easier than in the US or in UK and xenophobia is rare. Compared to the US and UK fees are lower and the employment rate is better.

4. United Kingdom

In terms of academic reputation the universities from the United Kingdom come on second place with 8 out of 50 top schools. British universities and especially schools in London are filled with international students so you won’t have problems finding people with similar backgrounds to exchange experiences. However, be aware that studying in England is expensive. Tuition fees can be up to £ 9,000 and living costs in London are one of the highest in the world.

Other good choices

Switzerland, Australia,  Singapore, New Zealand,  Sweden and Netherlands are other academically interesting destinations for English speaking students wanting to study abroad. Higher education in France and Japan is also very good, however you should plan to learn French or Japanese before going.

22 thoughts on “ Best countries to study abroad

  1. Charity

    Wow..this.nice…thanks alot

    Reply
  2. Mehboob Ali

    Sir, i have just completed my 12th from commerce stream…and i want to persue my graduation from abroad…
    Can u suggest me which country is best for me for my commerce graduation

    Reply
  3. ABHISHEK GUPTA

    I BELONG TO MIDDLE FAMILY I DONT HAVE LOT OF MONEY SIR SUGGEST ME WHICH COUNTRY IS BEST

    Reply
    1. Shana

      Sweden, it’s free to study there (but the booze is expensive)

      Reply
      1. Bob

        It’s expensive to study in Sweden for non Europeans… Only Europeans are exempted to pay tuition fees.

        Reply
  4. Samuel Donatus Shebayan

    I am a graduate of chemical engineering who wants to go for my post graduate in a country were I can work while studying.Moreover, with low fees.

    Reply
  5. MetaUniversityRanking

    Samuel, you might want to consider Germany. There is no tuition, just a fee of abount ~200€ per semester which usually includes public transportation. In a lot of companies you can work as a Werkstudent for some hours per week:

    Reply
  6. amrit

    I’m graduate in social science. I’m also from middle class family. I’m willing to take my wife in dependent visa and 2 year daughter along with me. Sir, suggest me the right country for study degree program in student visa in an easiest and low cost way.

    Reply
  7. vijay

    i am graduate of civil engineering and i want to do my MS. I was so confused in choosing to do my MS in germany or USA .I do prefer germany but most of them says
    i will be hard to get job after completion of my course.

    Reply
  8. MetaUniversityRanking

    Amrit, are you seeking PhD or Master’s? For Master’s I would recommend European countries with low tuition fees. For PhD (if you have the grades) a good US Universiy in combination with a scholarship.

    Vijay, I think Germany is the better choice. At most German universities there is no tuition fee and the job market doing fine (5.2 % unemployment rate).

    Reply
  9. janhvi

    Hi,The Blog is really helpful..
    Well..I have completed my B.A.M.S.(Bachelor of ayurvedic medicine and surgery) and now wants to perceive my MBA from Abroad (while going through your blog i found sweden and germony probable options as per cost is concerned)and keeping cost and my degree in mind, could you please guide me as which country will be the best option for me. also please consider that my husband has experience of working in B.P.C.L. (petroleum industry) so that the option you suggest will be helpful for both of us while thinking to shift to another country .
    Thanks
    Regards.

    Reply
  10. Eelco

    Helpful list, sums it up pretty well.
    Though I still have a question, I am a Finance&Control student, and consider studying abroad for a semester, what would be the better option, Sweden or the UK? Thanks in advance.

    Reply
  11. swapnil

    i m studying at Ireland…what do you think about Ireland.Please share this.

    Reply
    1. Nabeel

      @ swapnil reply me
      are u in ireland now or not my email is m.nabeelamin@yahoo.com
      reply me

      Reply
  12. Grisham Josh

    I’m from Nigeria. I just finished my National Diploma from Petroleum Training Institute, Warri. I need to further my studies abroad. Please, could you suggest to me which country is cheap to study and work at the same time. I’m from a middle class family. Thanks.

    Reply
  13. Simranjeet Singh

    Sir, I’m just finished my 10+2 class with science group, I’m going Newzealand for working and studying, I belongs to poor family, he can’t afford my fees can u plz tell me which is the best country for working and studying plz plz plz

    Reply
  14. Ramanareddy

    i was done my graduation in mechanical engineering in 2007 but i have experience in power sector for 5 years.now i was interst to do MS in abroad.can u explain anyone where i have to study and which one better

    Reply
  15. ijazahmad

    sir I want bsn degree and in germany so this is posssiblee?

    Reply
  16. sydneyfish

    Is it necessary to learn german if u wanna work there for part tym

    Reply
  17. VARUN

    SIR, I AM A GRADUATE WITH AVG MARKS…I M LOOKING FORWARD TO STUDYIN A MANAGEMENT DEGREE ABROAD….I VE HEARD TAT AT PRESENT EUROPE IS NOT A NICE OPTION….PLS SUGGEST SOME GOOD OPTION FOR ME WHICH IS ECONOMIC…I WANT TO STUDY IN SOME GOOD COLLEGES…I HAVE TWO YRS OF EXP…

    Reply
  18. Srikanth Reddy

    Hi, What about in CANADA, i am planning to study there, what are the chances of work permit……

    Reply
  19. srikala

    hi…!! iam doing diplamo in packaging technology i would like to study in abroad!! which is the safe place for studyng ad i like to study only packaging technology can u sugest me in which country it is there!! thanking you!!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply